This set is very similar to our smaller chess sets with a Staunton design. MegaChess’ Teak Chess Sets are superior to any made in the world for the following reasons;
- The Teak used to craft the MegaChess Teak Chess Pieces is among the finest in the world.
- The long drying process and curing of this exquisite wood insures that it is durable and weather resistant and suitable for year round use.
- Sun resistant stain is applied to the chess pieces to enhance the beautify of the natural teak.
- We finish the chess pieces with high grade protective polyurethane to enhance the beauty of the chess pieces.
- We apply a grooved rubber base that keeps the teak out of puddles that may form on your chessboard in inclement weather.
- Every chess piece is handmade by experienced craftsman.
32 Beautifully hand carved chess pieces with the light side retaining it full natural color with a light, sun protecting stain and the dark color being stained to allow you to see the natural grains in this elegant wood.
This is the largest of our seven teak chess sets. These pieces are suitable for play indoors or outdoors. The 72” King is more than seventeen times the size of a traditional chess set!
To lift the pieces, look to the weight of the queen (100 pounds). Although the king is heavier, his one-square move is done with a simple roll along the edge of the base. The queen has a standard collar 35" from the floor that is convenient for lifting. This is the only MegaChess set that comes with a dolly, modified for chess playing. Do not lift these pieces without the dolly.
Warning This is not a MegaChess set for unsupervised children. They can tip the pieces on themselves, and be injured. When planning a playing area, consider the minimum size of the square of a chessboard as the diameter of the base of the king (19"). Optimum would be 24" squares, which is also a standard for tile sizes (sometimes made up of four 12" tiles), yielding a chessboard 16' on each side.
To transport the entire MT72 chess set, plan on one full-size pickup truck or equivalent. The best approach is to lay the major pieces on their sides with padding.
Our Teak Chess Sets are not only beautiful, but they are strong and very durable! In fact teak is one of the toughest woods on the planet! It is particularly resistant to the elements, decay and insects due to it density and internal resins.
Our Teak Chess Sets are featured around the globe in some of the most exquisite resorts, country clubs, corporate settings, and backyards.
Pricing Note: As of this writing, teak lumber sells for $8/lb at most hardwood retailers in the US. That will go up over time. A large teak MegaChess set sells for a fraction of this raw material cost. Considered as an investment, the value of a teak MegaChess set doesn't depreciate - it goes up in value as teak grows more scarce. After over a thousand years, a chess set is not going to go out of style. A MegaChess set has no moving parts, hence nothing to wear out. It will be a family treasure to pass down through many generations. A MegaChess set is like buying gold that you can enjoy!
- Ships within 24 hours via Common Carrier Freight
- Delivered in 2 to 6 business days
- For faster delivery please call us at 949-630-0606 or email us for best rates
Specifications for the MegaChess Teak Chess Set with a 72” King:
King – 2 pieces – 72” tall with 19” base – weight 135 lbs.
Queen – 2 pieces – 63” tall with 18” base – weight 100 lbs.
Bishop – 4 pieces – 51” tall with 16” base – weight 65 lbs.
Knight – 4 pieces – 42” tall with 16” base – weight 100 lbs.
Rook – 4 pieces – 35” tall with 17” base – weight 70 lbs.
Pawn – 16 pieces – 30” tall with 14” base – weight – 45 lbs.
Total 32 pieces – weight 2,200 pounds
Crate #1 – 50” x 40” x 76” – 1,100 lbs.